Can I have a go on your bike? Ok then...We had a quiet sail down to Carriacou, an island that is part of Grenada, so we had to check in with Customs and Immigration.  The guy was extremely laid back and not interested in the cats. We had to email our details to the Veterinary Service on Grenada and they emailed back an Import Permit without even seeing the cats! No wonder there’s rabies on the island.

We anchored in Tyrrel Bay for a couple of weeks and soon adjusted our pace to an even slower way of doing things. There was a bar called Lambi Queen by our dinghy dock and it was very quiet apart from Friday nights when there was a barbecue and live band, then it was manic until the early hours. We could hear drums on the shore at about 2am which was quite eerie, and annoying.  On one side of the bar there was a tree with a sloped trunk that usually had a man asleep on it and the owner had put up a tin roof next to the tree to provide shelter for the men to play dominoes.  This was always a heated event with dominos being slammed down, shouting, arm waving, cursing and a lot of laughing. We could hear the dominoes being slammed down as we were tying our boat up at the dinghy dock. They were a friendly lot and we enjoyed just sitting there watching all the goings on. Occasionally someone would come in with the catch of the day and the men would stand around the barrel of fish and argue over price. We struggled to understand what they said as they spoke patois so quickly.

On the other side of the bar was a woman with a fruit stall and one day she was sat on an oil drum having her hair braided.  She probably had half a dozen customers on a good day.

Roadside wild life The main road was made of concrete and seemed safe enough so we got the bikes onshore and arranged to store them in a locked shed at Lambi’s.  We alternated cycling into Hillsborough, the main town on the other side of the island, and getting the local bus. Video of our ride to town here

The buses weren't as busy as on the other islands and were more of a social service. The route would depend on who was on the bus as the driver would take people up to their door, which gave us an island tour for free. We managed to get on a bus one day that stopped at a nursery school and a group of very small children got on, said “Good afternoon” to us and sat still until they were one by one dropped off at their homes. They were so well behaved. They all had little back packs and the girls had ribbons in their hair that matched their uniform. So cute!

Cycling was an adventure as there were goats roaming around everywhere and although they were used to traffic they didn’t know what to do about bikes, and we didn’t know what to do about goats, not a good combination. There were some large iguanas at the road side which was quite distracting so all in all, cycling was fun.

The main town was very small, a few supermarkets and bars and that was about it.  Our bikes attracted a lot of attention and people would shout that they liked or wanted our bikes.  Everyone was so friendly and said hello, everyone.

We had to tear ourselves away as June crept up on us as we needed to be in Grenada itself for hurricane season, for insurance purposes.

So here we are now. We arrived yesterday 3rd June and this will be our home for the next 6 months. We’re in a 5 star marina which has a swimming pool, spa, restaurant, bar and all that you’d expect from a top marina.  We had steak in the restaurant last night to celebrate our arrival and plan to do a bit of exploring today. The marina has lovely gardens so the boys are going to be happy chappies when we take them for walks.  I think we’re going to enjoy ourselves here!